MIS and Eldora Speedway co-recipients of the Mission Award
As NASCAR’s 2014 racing season prepares to ramp up with Preseason Thunder at Daytona testing, it can’t move forward without the hard work and dedication of hundreds of professionals in the vital areas of track services, safety and security. And that goes for every event on this season’s NASCAR calendar.
Earlier this week at the annual preseason NASCAR Summit at the Concord (N.C.) Convention Center, awards were presented to several individuals who excelled during the 2013 season in their various fields. The Summit is an avenue for representatives from all tracks that host NASCAR and IMSA races to address topics relating to their respective disciplines. Over 700 participants attended this year’s event.
Eldora Speedway and Michigan International Speedway honored by NASCAR at the annual Operations Summit in Charlotte, N.C., with the "Mission Award" for teamwork for last year's successful Mudsummer Classic NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race.
MIS worked with Eldora to share track services and emergency personnel and equipment.
The ceremony was highlighted by the posthumous presentation of the prestigious Jim Bockoven Track Services Lifetime Achievement Award to Ernie Thurston, former Corporate Coordinator of Track Safety and Emergency Services for International Speedway Corporation (ISC). Thurston, who passed away last November, was instrumental in implementing best safety procedures and policies across the company over a 20-year career.
Other 2013 NASCAR Summit award winners included:
- Track Services Innovation Award – Luke Clement, Iowa Speedway
- Track Services Teamwork Award – Charlotte Motor Speedway
- Excellence in Track Services Award – Kevin O’Brien, Pocono Raceway
- NASCAR Security Award for Excellence – Jean Ann Bowman (Kansas Speedway); Cody Chalfant (Mid-Ohio); Jay Fraioli (Homestead-Miami Speedway)
- Nursing Director Award (presented by NASCAR Medical Liaison Department) – Kathy Vance, Daytona International Speedway; Todd Axberg, Sonoma Raceway
- Above and Beyond Award (presented by NASCAR Medical Liaison Department) – Bill Heisel, Ortho Carolina, Charlotte, N.C.
- Races to feature new stage-based competition enhancements
- LTi Printing 200 official name of the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series
- Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series new name of the sport’s premier series
- MIS Cares to award $10,000 in scholarships in 2017
- Toys and food collected at the Charity Track and Toy Drive